William J. O’Neil
Data Analysis, Incorporated
- Stockbroker with Hayden, Stone & Company
- Founded William O’Neil + Company, Incorporated
- At the young age of 30, purchases a seat on the New York Stock Exchange
- Founded Daily Graphs, Inc (now MarketSmith, Incorporated)
- Founded O’Neil Capital Management to manage funds for the O’Neil family of businesses
- Founded O’Neil Data Solutions, Inc. (now O’Neil Digital Systems, Inc.)
- Founded Investor’s Daily (later Investor’s Business Daily)
- Authored How To Make Money In Stocks: A Winning System In Good Times Or Bad (more than 4 million copies sold)
- Named one of the Top 100 Business Luminaries of the Century by TJFR Group
- Receives Classic Award of Recognition by the AeA
- Spirit of Lincoln award recipient from the Lincoln Club of Los Angeles
- Formed O’Neil Securities, Incorporated (separating the broker/dealer from William O’Neil + Co.) and brought his unique investing style to India’s dynamic market with William O’Neil India Pvt. Ltd.
- Founded the WJO Foundation for charitable, literary, and educational purposes
- William O’Neil China further expands DAI’s global reach
- Recognized as one of the Most Influential People in Los Angeles by The Los Angeles Business Journal
- Founding of O’Neil Global Advisors Inc., O’Neil Capital Management India Pvt. Ltd., and William O’Neil Investment Management Shanghai Ltd.
William J. O’Neil is one of the true great American success stories – the foundation of our heritage for the O’Neil family of businesses. Mr. O’Neil began his career as a stockbroker in 1958 with Hayden, Stone & Company. His fascination with the securities market led him to pioneer the use of historical precedent to analyze equities in tandem with fundamental and technical analysis, creating his own unique investment discipline, the O’Neil Methodology (OM).
Armed with this knowledge, Mr. O’Neil quickly became the top-performing broker in his firm, eventually branching out on his own to found William O’Neil + Co. Incorporated in 1963. In 1971, he summarized, adapted, and published his findings as The Model Book of Greatest Stock Market Winners.
In 1972, Mr. O’Neil copyrighted a unique design he had created to capture all the relevant information needed to make an investment decision about a stock, which he called a Datagraph™. To provide this information to individual investors, he founded Daily Graphs, Inc. (later MarketSmith, Incorporated). But he also realized that he needed to provide this timely information more quickly than his competition, so he founded O’Neil Data Systems, Inc. (ODS), a high-speed printing facility that pioneered the field of database publishing using state-of-the-art computer technology, in 1973. The Company also included a business that manages funds for DAI and its affiliates, now known as O’Neil Capital Management. Now O’Neil Digital Solutions, ODS continues to offer communications solutions that simplify and improve customer experiences for companies in finance, health care, and a variety of other industries.
To fill in what he saw as a daily information gap for the individual investor, Mr. O’Neil launched Investor’s Daily (later Investor’s Business Daily®) in 1984, a newspaper for investors that drew from a massive historical database. To further DAI’s global reach and bring its unique investing style to Asia, in 2010 the Company expanded with William O’Neil India Pvt Ltd and in 2015 with William O’Neil China.
In 2019, DAI used its expertise and experience in machine learning and AI to branch out into robo-advising to develop algorithms that identify investment strategies that mirror our unique methodology and unrivaled performance with the founding of O’Neil Global Advisors, O’Neil Capital Management India Pvt. Ltd., and William O’Neil Investment Management Shanghai Ltd.
In addition to being a successful entrepreneur, Mr. O’Neil is a successful writer. His How To Make Money In Stocks: A Winning System In Good Times Or Bad is in its fourth revised edition and was the best-selling investment book of 1988. Mr. O’Neil also wrote the bestseller 24 Essential Lessons for Investment Success and The Successful Investor in 2004. In 2005, he wrote the foreword for Edwin Lefevre’s popular Reminiscences of a Stock Operator: Illustrated Edition.
Mr. O’Neil has received numerous accolades including being recognized as one of the Top 100 Business Luminaries of the Century by TJFR Group and MasterCard International. In 1988, Mr. O’Neil was featured in the book Market Wizards by Jack D. Schwager. He also received the 2002 Classic Award of Recognition from the AeA, the largest high-tech industry group in the United States. In 2004, The Stock Trader’s Almanac devoted its 37th edition to Mr. O’Neil. He received the prestigious Spirit of Lincoln award in 2005 from the Lincoln Club of Los Angeles, recognizing him for his significant contributions to society. In 2016, Mr. O’Neil was recognized by The Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Most Influential People in Los Angeles.